JavaScript must be enabled to use this chat software. Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
animorphus

It's #TimetoTalk

I'm generally quite a quiet member here on SW, but I'm an avid visitor, and still tend to visit once, twice (maybe more) per day. As such, I doubt any of you would know that I have autism, a lifelong disability that affects my social and communication skills. Unfortunately, typing is my only method of communicating, in public I find it impossible to speak, and struggle to get around day after day.

Its estimated that one in four will experience some kind of mental health problem during any year, whether it be depression, anxiety issues, to the more severe end where I sit on. That's 240 out of the 961 members SW has. Mental health problems are common - but nearly nine out of ten people who experience them say they face stigma and discrimination as a result. This can be even worse than the symptoms themselves.

It's #TimetoTalk about mental health. Find out about what you can do to help at time-to-change.org.uk.

TTC_TTTDay_Yvonne%26Birgit_FBCover_Indiv

P.S. Apologies if this seems like an advertisement, I simply want to share something that affects me daily and means a lot to me.

You have absolutely nothing to apologise for, animorphus.  Thank you for having the courage to tell us about your autism, and to draw our attention to this important - and widespread - issue.

I am also new here too and i also have autism and this is my first post here. I have high functioning autism spectrum and i like to get to know fellow people with autism and for me i was diagnosed with it when i was in 11th grade In high school and i understand the world i alot better.

I applaud the bravery in your choices to speak up.  In face to face interactions, the impact of autism and similar conditions is often difficult to hide.  To share that part of your world with people who would otherwise have no idea, it is truly a coming out story.  The sense of relief and accomplishment which follows such an act of incredible bravery is an energy that cannot be diminished by any force, but the passage of time.  Fortunately, there is a new opportunity to renew that energy at almost every turn you take in life.  In your choice to share this part of your story, you empower others who face the same situations to become even stronger than if they had told their own story.  There is nothing more powerful than the knowledge that there are others like you, even in the fun places of your life.

Thank you for sharing this part of your life, may it provide many opportunities for discussions and new friendships within this community.