Sign in to follow this  
flameboard

NEW Chat Software

Hey Guys,

So as you are all aware, since we have completed some back end updates and implemented the HTTPS on the site, we have been unable to use the chat system that we found after IPS stopped the integrated software on the site. 
I know that this has caused a issue for some, along with people getting disheartened thinking that we were not interested in bringing a chat back. This is not the case at all and it has just been a struggle to find anything that is suitable, especially for a forum. 

We have been trolling through many different versions and all have not been acceptable or cost a significant figure.
I am pleased to say however, we have now found a chat system that we are happy with and that we would invite you to all join!

Unfortunately the system is not able to be integrated into this site and so will be running on a separate tab on your PC, BUT the bonus is, you can also install a FREE Mobile App on both Android and IOS devices!! Alot of people have asked about this in the past and so this is something that can be done! 

We have chosen the chat software Discord. To join the new chat system, please click THIS INVITE LINK so that you can register with the chat system. I do KINDLY ask that when registering, you register with the SAME username as on this site. I have placed a button on the header page of the site, HOWEVER you must register with the link above first before this will give you access to the chat room.

We have created two chat pages, Sagging Chat and General Chat for you to join in the bulk conversation. We also have a Voice Chat Room, this is so when you click on it, you will start transmitting voice to talk with anyone else in this public chat room. Not only that but you can of course send Private Direct Messages via this system to anyone that is registered along with doing Video and Voice Calls to these people! You can also send photos in both Public Chats and Private Chat Rooms. 

Please note, there is a BOT currently in place that is looking to stop anyone spamming to keep it good for all.

We do apologise for how long it has taken to come up with something! However, we hope that you like this version now.
I for one do and love that you can have the mobile app available too for this. 

I of course welcome any feedback etc and look forward to seeing you all join the chat. If you experience any issues with either the system, or with people in it, please PM either me or @TheOther1 and we will be glad to assist.
Thanks again for your patience.

download.png

13 hours ago, Tylersagger said:

thanks, gonna take a bit to get use to again

Discord is pretty simple to use though more complicated than the previous things we have used due to its added functionality. But it's a great chat platform and if people want to do video calls or send pics then they can do that as well. 

Hey, All of You Guys,

THANK YOU for all the work in locating and installing the new chat system.  It's interesting that you may not have realized how often how many of us use it . . . and had been away during the hiatus.

Like Tylersagger says, it looks like it will take a bit to get fully comfortable with it, but the added features sure will make it worth the effort.

Thanks for keeping up this great site . . . and now, for the new chat feature.  YOU GUYS ARE APPRECIATED . . . far more than we bother to tell you.

So, keep on being appreciated!  

@lo2go thanks and Happy New Year to you mate. We outta catch up, it's been a while since we last chatted.

Edited by Lee249

One thing I don't understand yet and that is I only seem to be able to log in if I am on my own personal WiFi at home. It says it doesn't recognise what I am doing if I try to log in elsewhere. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, danmart said:

One thing I don't understand yet and that is I only seem to be able to log in if I am on my own personal WiFi at home. It says it doesn't recognise what I am doing if I try to log in elsewhere. Any ideas?

From the Discord site.. 

"Once you’ve verified your account, we will require that you confirm via email any log-in attempts from different IP’s than you actually use." 

So you will be fine to login at home as typically your IP address will not change (it might in certain circumstances and this will vary between different Internet providers). 

But if you're out of the house and just using your mobile data then yes it should send you an email to confirm some stranger isn't trying to aceess the account. 

I think the only thing to do is just stay logged in and don't log out. This is what I do and its fine. 

Edit: seems like if you enable 2 factor authentication they don't do this IP checking.. But I'm not sure where you get the authentication code from, so it's probably just as a nuisance as verifying via email. 

On 1/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, TheOther1 said:

Edit: seems like if you enable 2 factor authentication they don't do this IP checking.. But I'm not sure where you get the authentication code from, so it's probably just as a nuisance as verifying via email. 

Use a 2-factor authentication app such as Google Authenticator.

4 minutes ago, animorphus said:

Use a 2-factor authentication app such as Google Authenticator.

Yup, but my point was I'm not sure if receiving an email and clicking a link would be any slower than 2FA.

Staying logged in is far easier ... :)

Agreed, though if you don’t use Discord regularly on mobile it will log you out. If you need a hand just let me know, I run a couple of Discord servers for gaming guilds 🙂

Good to know, I only put it on my phone a few days ago but have been on daily so didn't know it logged you out. Thanks. If you have any suggestions... Let me know. 

I have a couple :)

First, it's always worth having a text channel with community guidelines/rules/etc. in. Lock it down so that only admins can post in the channel just so the rules don't get burried.

Second, I've noticed the trivia bot used a bit, and while some may find it fun, it would probably be better for all users to restrict the trivia bot to its own dedicated channel. That way people not interested in the trivia can turn notifications off for that particular channel.

Hope this helps ;)

12 hours ago, animorphus said:

I have a couple :)

First, it's always worth having a text channel with community guidelines/rules/etc. in. Lock it down so that only admins can post in the channel just so the rules don't get burried.

Second, I've noticed the trivia bot used a bit, and while some may find it fun, it would probably be better for all users to restrict the trivia bot to its own dedicated channel. That way people not interested in the trivia can turn notifications off for that particular channel.

Hope this helps ;)

Good ideas, I has thought about the trivia one myself as it produces alot of output... If I've done it right it should now only work in the trivia room and not the sagging or general chat. 

Will need to come up with some guidelines :)

Discord chat does not seem to work on PC. Followed the instruction and verified my account but when I start it up it gets stuck on OPENING DISCORD APP with a rotating face. It never gets any further.

34 minutes ago, Denimsag said:

Discord chat does not seem to work on PC. Followed the instruction and verified my account but when I start it up it gets stuck on OPENING DISCORD APP with a rotating face. It never gets any further.

Try a different browser? I think its main platform is Windows so it certainly does work

https://discordapp.com/channels/@me

7 hours ago, Denimsag said:

run the installer as admin

For those of us longtime discord users with a different username, is there anything we can do outside of creating a new account, to use a current account? 

5 hours ago, skatercub said:

For those of us longtime discord users with a different username, is there anything we can do outside of creating a new account, to use a current account? 

change your nickname on that server