Hi all, I’m just wondering if anyone here have diagnosed with autism symptoms? I know there are some that have it… but I figured I know who else on here has it. If so, how does it affect you? (e.g. did you make friends, does your friends know about it and still hangs out, or does anyone (it can be a stranger or someone you know) talks with you?) How do you overcome your goals? I’ll share my thoughts.

I have Autism Spectrum Disorder since birth I believe… Funny enough when I was in elementary school, I used to have made some friends, plus I used to be misbehaving (well that’s kids life haha), and I still tend to be shy. When I started middle school, I never had social life with my friends… I mean We’re still friends, but I didn’t want to think I’ll lose friendship when I ask if we hang out, etc. I was on special education class since then till I graduated high school. I used to have special needs during elementary to middle school.

Then for high school, I’m like independent going to every class, but still bring note takers in case I missed information. When I started work in 2013 till 2016, I do have nice workers my age and older who gets to talk a bit with me, gives me heads up about the bags, etc. whilst I’m in a different store since 2017, and not a lot of workers younger than me talk, except for giving me breaks, heads up about the bags, or gives me some other task. I do have customer who talks a bit with me… it’s hard for me to communicate due to background noise. My head hurts when I get upset customers that I wanted to bang… but I control myself. Usually at home I let it out. Even when I get caught going on sites (which I think with being autistic, you get addicted to it as well), I tend to get upset that I can’t control myself at home… but out in public, I try my best to keep it to myself except in the car.

Currently I don’t have friends in general to hang out due to Covid-19, plus they moved out since after graduation, but I do have social media to keep in touch with friends I know since grade school on occasion… but really my goal is to try to be more independent at home to show my parents that I can do this, and not let the autism stop me from the future as well as finding a bakery job (not owning, but be a worker).

Edited by Astg94
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Yes I’m diagnosed with Autism. Asperger syndrome to be exact. I can be emotionally sensitive at times and get stressed out very easily. I try to do my best to perform at work to the best of my ability however it is not easy. 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, EMK said:

Yes I’m diagnosed with Autism. Asperger syndrome to be exact. I can be emotionally sensitive at times and get stressed out very easily. I try to do my best to perform at work to the best of my ability however it is not easy. 

Eric 

Yeah, I hear ya… everything is not an easy task when we have autisms… I do tend to stress out when I’m bored. I did learn that if say I’m in an argument, I tend to almost yell, and bang a fist on the table (almost in a way to stop talking and/or get attention), but otherwise I tend to have a headache afterwards.

I am high-functioning autistic.  i was formally diagnosed eleven years ago but I know it is something I have had my whole life.

Sagging wasn't a thing when I was in grade school and high school but I loved to be out of dress code when I was in school.  I went to private school and there were times I just felt like breaking dress code.  I would untuck my shirt in school just for the heck of it.  It was an attention getter.  Bad point was, when I got the attention, I didn't know what to do with it (and I still don't).  Someone would ask me why I was out of dress code and I couldn't give a reason.  I got the attention I "craved" but was embarrassed at the same time.

Sagging, I guess, takes on the same perception.  When I worked in grocery stores, I would sag, sometimes very low (about at butt level).  I would get the stares I "craved" but would be embarrassed that I got "caught".  Attribute it to shyness or just wanting to stand out somehow, but when I was noticed, I almost felt ashamed.  Now when I'm out with friends, I really don't give it much thought.  I just sag.  Perhaps it's comfort level?  Oh, the things your brain will try to get you to think about.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, EMK said:

Eric 

Hi Eric,

Speaking from your own daily experiences is mesmerizing thank you 🙏

I think many people including myself, don't necessarily understand what it means to have Asperger Syndrome like so many other lifelong health conditions. 

I was deeply moved by your post dude. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lee249 said:

Hi Eric,

I think many people including myself, don't necessarily understand what it means to have Asperger Syndrome like so many other lifelong health conditions. 

Wow! Thank You Lee.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, smlyons77 said:

I am high-functioning autistic.  i was formally diagnosed eleven years ago but I know it is something I have had my whole life.

Sagging wasn't a thing when I was in grade school and high school but I loved to be out of dress code when I was in school.  I went to private school and there were times I just felt like breaking dress code.  I would untuck my shirt in school just for the heck of it.  It was an attention getter.  Bad point was, when I got the attention, I didn't know what to do with it (and I still don't).  Someone would ask me why I was out of dress code and I couldn't give a reason.  I got the attention I "craved" but was embarrassed at the same time.

Sagging, I guess, takes on the same perception.  When I worked in grocery stores, I would sag, sometimes very low (about at butt level).  I would get the stares I "craved" but would be embarrassed that I got "caught".  Attribute it to shyness or just wanting to stand out somehow, but when I was noticed, I almost felt ashamed.  Now when I'm out with friends, I really don't give it much thought.  I just sag.  Perhaps it's comfort level?  Oh, the things your brain will try to get you to think about.  🙄

Yeah, I had that same problem… when I do something wrong or whatever that my parents doesn’t appreciate me doing, and I get asked for a reason… I be like hard to explain, but sometimes my brain can answer it but how can I say it since nobody reads my mind lol. My solution is if someone stares at you untucking your shirt, just TUCK IN your shirt and boom everything has resolved.

Oh and also when I first go to interviews, or setup an account for something, like setting up a bank account for example, I usually bring my mom with me in case she clarifies, or helps me answer as best on the ability… so I’m not screwed up with whatever I’m requesting. My brain screams that I can’t remember everything he/she says. Ironically, if someone writes or typing a question like texts, emails, etc. it definitely helps me answer anything. Otherwise if I have to get things I’m comfortable done, I can handle it independently no matter what.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, smlyons77 said:

You sound like a very positive person and positive with your sagging and autism.  I can see how sagging and the clothing could get you in trouble, but I think there is a general misconception about both of those that always gets these guys in trouble.  Peace!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Lee249 said:

Hi Eric,

Yeah, I think he sounds positive overall, and I think it helps to keep as positive as possible.  Peace!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SaggersRhot said:

How do you mean?

I think it doesn't hinder you from enjoying sagging to its fullest.  I can explain more if you like.  I know it presents many other challenges.

• Like 1

Since everyone is talking about Autism so openly, I have decided to tell something that I don't tell anyone outside of my family. I have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome 22 years ago. I have been seeing a Psychiatrist and taking nightly meds for 22 years. I'm 42 now but went for the first 20 years of my life were horrible. In the 80s and 90s Doctors didn't know about Asperger's yet. I had a horrible childhood and school career. When I say I had a horrible childhood I mean it from the point of I didn't have any friends in school or out of school. Kids would try to be my friend but I didn't feel good enough about myself to be their friend and I would act like I didn't know them when they would come to mydoor to see if I wanted to do something. My years school were horrible. It all started when I started 3rd grade. I went to school and felt so sick the entire day. I felt like I was going to throw up everyday in school. It get much worse when I started high school. I would be bullied constantly everyday. I was punched, kicked, slapped and spit on. I had kids take my bookbag and throw it out of the classroom window. The kids would call me horrible names, swear at me and I even had a kid pull my pants down in the hall one day. I didn't know what was wrong with me that I would feel so sick every single day. Even in the summer when school was closed my parents would take my brother places like amusement parks or vacation and I felt terribly sick. I never had any fun at the amusement park and couldn't wait to go home. I was so happy when my parents said I was old enough to stay home alone when they took my brother places.

It got so bad that I thought I must need a hospital. I couldn't stand it anymore and when I turned 18, I decided to sign myself out of school. 

Thankfully in 2000 I found a doctor who could help me and with nightly meds, I can do more now then I could before but I still can't do everything a "normal" person can do. I still feel like wherever I am that people and watching me and judging me. 

I actually can't beleive I'm writing this but I'm feeling better by opening up. I'm gay and have never had a boyfriend or went on a date. I only have had NSA sex but I want a man to share my life with. It is very lonely going places alone all the time. I'm sorry to have went on for so long. If you have any questions, you are welcome to ask. Maybe I can help someone. If you would like to text or call me to be friends, I'd love that! Just message me if you want me number. Thanks for taking time to read this. Stay Safe

• Sad 2

Wow, I’m sorry to hear about how tough your life was as a kid to high school… thank god that despite I have autism spectrum disorder, nobody bullied me at HS. I did make some friends when I was in elementary school, but then since mid grade, I think my autism got the best of me in terms of making friends… even when my mom asks me if I want to hang out with whoever she thought would work, my mind was like no. He is a good person, but I’m shy, and generally, idk what I wanted to do with him if I hanged out… other than video games lol. Although not a lot of games are 2 players. The only person that I have had hanged out as a friend was my cousin… he’s same age as me, if I knew he’s gay, I’d be open to that, but he’s not gay. We did have fun playing video games with him… I do feel shy when I first see him but then I get comfortable after a while. I’m happy to hear that you’re healthy and feeling better after all those years you’ve gotten Asperger’s Syndrome.

• Thanks 1

Sounds challenging, guys.  I think the important thing is to stay as comfortable as possible with this.  SaggersRhot said he didn't want to go out much, and I think that is okay.  If you are comfortable staying at home, I think it's very important to listen to your wants.  I know the world challenges you and wants more out of you, though.  Peace, I think you're a great guy.  Astg94 is a great guy.  He comes off as not having anything going wrong, and I love that.  Peace, guys.

• Thanks 2
On 2/1/2022 at 12:13 AM, SaggersRhot said:

Since everyone is talking about Autism so openly, I have decided to tell something that I don't tell anyone outside of my family. I have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome 22 years ago. I have been seeing a Psychiatrist and taking nightly meds for 22 years. I'm 42 now but went for the first 20 years of my life were horrible. In the 80s and 90s Doctors didn't know about Asperger's yet. I had a horrible childhood and school career. When I say I had a horrible childhood I mean it from the point of I didn't have any friends in school or out of school. Kids would try to be my friend but I didn't feel good enough about myself to be their friend and I would act like I didn't know them when they would come to mydoor to see if I wanted to do something. My years school were horrible. It all started when I started 3rd grade. I went to school and felt so sick the entire day. I felt like I was going to throw up everyday in school. It get much worse when I started high school. I would be bullied constantly everyday. I was punched, kicked, slapped and spit on. I had kids take my bookbag and throw it out of the classroom window. The kids would call me horrible names, swear at me and I even had a kid pull my pants down in the hall one day. I didn't know what was wrong with me that I would feel so sick every single day. Even in the summer when school was closed my parents would take my brother places like amusement parks or vacation and I felt terribly sick. I never had any fun at the amusement park and couldn't wait to go home. I was so happy when my parents said I was old enough to stay home alone when they took my brother places.

It got so bad that I thought I must need a hospital. I couldn't stand it anymore and when I turned 18, I decided to sign myself out of school. 

Thankfully in 2000 I found a doctor who could help me and with nightly meds, I can do more now then I could before but I still can't do everything a "normal" person can do. I still feel like wherever I am that people and watching me and judging me. 

I actually can't beleive I'm writing this but I'm feeling better by opening up. I'm gay and have never had a boyfriend or went on a date. I only have had NSA sex but I want a man to share my life with. It is very lonely going places alone all the time. I'm sorry to have went on for so long. If you have any questions, you are welcome to ask. Maybe I can help someone. If you would like to text or call me to be friends, I'd love that! Just message me if you want me number. Thanks for taking time to read this. Stay Safe

Wow. This is a brave admission from you & I applaud it. Thank you for sharing something so deeply heartfelt with us dude.

We spoke last year... Things happened (without going into details) I understand it now. 

• 3 months later...

What a weird day at work yesterday! I got a customer who wanted me to scan the gift card for the amount he tells me to enter (his voice or accent is not clear)… it sounded like he said either $28 or $48. I entered $20 and/or $40 for the first 2 times assuming that’s what he wanted along with the banana. He was upset and confused and he almost spitted at me (I moved away suddenly which I’m glad) and I was like annoyed AF… I banged at the register, voided his gift card to fix it one more time, but he took the gift card and banana and left… going to other register, cause the gift card has to be authorized in order to use it. So I voided the transaction and tried to cool down my temper… my mind almost feels fried that I’m losing it. This F**king customer should know better that I’m Hard of hearing (yes I have 2 cochlear implants on both ears) and I can’t understand his voice even though not much background noise going on, and with my autism spectrum, I get angry (I try to control myself with customers) but thankfully as he’s gone, I let the anger get the best of me by banging it. I’m glad none of the managers said anything, but one cashier behind me did her best to clarify, but no such luck… she knows I’m hard of hearing. I hope he never comes here with the F**king gift card in my register again… but I’m fine with just bananas (he was my regulars with only bananas lmao) cause price varies. I’m glad this is out of the mind atm.

Does this ever happen to you when you’re at work with autisms? Thanks!